Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tribute to M.J

In my opinion, Michael Jackson was one of the greatest dancers of all time. Even before his untimely death he was an inspiration to me. I remember back when I was 7 years old I would spend countless hours practicing his signature move, the moonwalk. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched online tutorials just to master the move. I have always thought that his style of dancing was exceptionally unique. He created his own style of dance that will be practiced for years, which is an outstanding achievement. The energy and passion that he put into his dancing made each and every one of his performances exceptionally entertaining. All in all, I truly believe that he was one of the greatest dancers of all time.

The thing that I really like about Michael Jackson’s dancing is that its style cannot be labelled. It is not hip hop, jazz, lyrical, tap, ballet, or any other type of dance. It is simply unique and on its own. Nevertheless, over the years hip hop has adopted several of his moves. His style is incorporated in many of the hip hop routines that we see today. In fact, my dance team, Dyversity, is planning on orienting our choreographed performance towards M.J’s style. Each of us have been inspired by his dancing and consider this year’s performance to be our very own tribute to his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment