Saturday, November 28, 2009

Benefits of Dancing

After dancing for 7 years now, I have come to realize that there are many benefits that come with dancing, besides enjoyment. I can honestly say that dancing has made me a healthier person, physically and mentally. I don’t know how I could live without it.

Firstly, hip hop dancing greatly helps me to stay in shape. I practice for at least half an hour every day, and by the end of those thirty minutes I am exhausted. I believe that it is a great form of exercise because not only is it an effective way to stay in shape, but it is also very enjoyable. Without it, I would not be as fit as I am now.

It addition to that, dancing is has also helped me mentally and emotionally over the years. I use hip hop as a mechanism to control my temper. I cannot speak for everyone, but personally, I believe that dancing is a good way to reduce stress and anger. My daily thirty minutes of practice really helps me to blow off steam for anything that has caused me stress throughout the day. By the time I finish practicing, I feel relaxed and able to move on with my day. If you haven’t already been using dance as a mechanism to relieve stress, I deeply recommend it. It may sound odd to some of you, but trust me, it works.

Dancing is also something that has boosted my self-esteem over the years. Prior to my attachment to hip hop, I felt out of place. I didn’t have a special talent for anything in particular. I couldn’t play an instrument, I couldn’t sing, and I was never outstanding in any sport in particular. I felt like I was good for nothing. Then, when I took my first hip hop lesson, my instructor was astonished at my abilities at such a young age. I continued to work on my techniques, and after my first performance at a school talent show, people began to recognize me for my gift. At last, I felt like I belonged.

All in all, dancing has been very beneficial to me throughout my life. If you haven’t yet tried it out, I suggest that you do. If hip hop isn’t your thing, then try jazz or tap or lyrical if you’d like. After experiencing life with it and life without it I can honestly say that it will make a big difference in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment